port aransas fishing logo 

Port Aransas Fishing

Bay Fishing

Offshore Fishing

(361) 563-TUNA (8862)

PO Box 2772

Port Aransas, TX 78373

Email: Scott@fishntexas.com

Rockport Texas Fishing

Bay Fishing & Offshore Fishing  


 The Saltwater Cowboy!


Corpus Christi Fishing

Bay Fishing

Offshore Fishing

(361) 563-TUNA (8862)

117 Port Ave.

Rockport, TX 78382

Email: Scott@fishntexas.com

fishntexas camo logo 

Bay Fishing,  Deep Sea Fishing,  Offshore Fishing, Flats Fishing,  Fly Fishing  &   Duck Hunting!

Home   Online Payments   Online Store   Locations   Links   Lodging   FAQ  Trip Prices   Services   Rodeo   Testimonials   Recipes   Restaurants

Photo Album   Fishing Videos   Fishing Jokes   Fishing Reports   Fishing Tips, Weather & Tools   Boats & Equipment for Sale   Fishing Articles


Well April is here and the first Blue Marlin has not been caught from Port Aransas yet.  I heard about a new floater out past Dutra from my good friend Thomas Hilton of Hilton’s Offshore, so a call to a couple of my clients Jeff Shadrock Sr. and Jeff Jr. and we were off for another Deep Sea Adventure.  I have just gotten the 37’ Bertram named the “Samaki” back from a long stay in Fort Lauderdale, FL. And Venice, LA, so I was anxious to if she still raised fish like the old days.  I decided to leave a little late on the morning of the April 02, 2005 as a strong cold front had visited the day before, as it turns out the winds were less than 10 knots and the seas were flat and as we approached the 35 NM mark the water was very blue like the sea surface chart from Hilton’s Offshore showed.  A nice weed line appeared in the distance so my deck hand Nick Prater put out the lures, nothing, then on the South Baker Rock, nothing, then to the rigs, nothing, we ended up trolling all the way to the Falcon Rig before we had any action and the was only one small Wahoo on the Texas Turd and Bird.  We decided to head to East Breaks, as the sun was going down all was quiet we backed off the throttles to put out Ballyhoo on glow skirts and Capt. Wayne Durrance headed for the Oceanic America at a slow troll.  As with most floaters you can see the lights from almost 20 NM which makes the trip seem that much longer and the anticipation that much greater!  We arrived at the floater just before midnight and started to troll seeing an occasional splash from Tuna or some other predator fish, but no takers.  As the morning was upon us we decided to started chunking, that is cut up chum and sneak a line with a hook in it amongst the mix and we also dropped some Berkley power baits (big) with a 4oz. Head over the side.  In no time at all we had some weird fish, like a cross between a ribbonfish and a Wahoo, if you can imagine that and soon there after we boated the first of two tuna and the bite stopped.  At 4:00 am we decided to get a couple of hours rest and dream of the morning Yellowfin bite.  Just before 6:00 am I got the boat and tackle ready for trolling ballyhoo before I woke up all the sleeping beauties.  With all awake and ready for the Tuna bite we started making our rounds, close and far no matter where we had no luck, even though the fish were occasionally busting bait on the surface.  So with one last idea left we brought all the Ballyhoo in and put out only three small lures and ran them waaay back, that was the ticket even though after a few passes they even figured that out.  With the action slow to say the least, we decided to start our troll back home in search for something interesting in the next 75 NM miles!  I knew something would happen and it was just a matter of time, then an hour later the old faithful the Bird and the Turd went screaming…Wahoo and a nice one about 60 pounds.  We were closing in on Dutra and I knew we were in for some fun and it was about time!  We approached Dutra and weeds were scattered everywhere, we were still able to troll using a spread of single hook wide ranges.  With the wind picking up to 18 knots or more we decided to troll toward the baker or Falcon area, then after an hour or so you could see the Jeff’s thinking about the long drive back to San Antonio and the inevitable came “let’s go ahead and head back”.  Well as luck would have it from the tower I had spotted some water breaking in the distance and told them to hold their horses until we could check it out, as we got closer I saw that it was a pretty good weed line formed up along a rip.  I knew it had to be a good rip because it was still holding together in the strong wind.  We started trolling the rip and within a few minutes I heard something that sounded like a fire cracker and immediately saw a huge fish splash where the shotgun was, then the monster came out of the water and tried for the bird, I don’t know if it was even the same fish.  I looked down on the deck and the line was slack, we immediately tossed out a throw back Ballyhoo but no takers.  Everyone onboard was amazed at how fast things can happen and upon inspecting the line we saw a weird slice above the Bimini knot, darn the luck!  Well thinking we may have missed our shot we trolled back up the weed line to make another pass and the reel went screaming again, but it was only a darn 50# Wahoo.  We got to the spot where the Marlin hit and the Smoking Joe on the left flat went screaming, the lure ended up coming to the surface 50 yards behind the boat so I moved the prop wash ballyhoo behind it, then Fish up on the left rigger Sprocket, it popped the clip and started taking line, damn it went slack, but I still had the Ballyhoo out and I felt him pick it up, free spool, free spool then set the drag, he was on a few seconds and we pulled the hooks, Damn again!  We were thinking how bad could we mess this up, what could we have done different?  Well we headed back around to the spot for another go, then the right rigger clip went down, darn another trash fish, 20# Mahi-Mahi.  We wanted to get to the Marlin mark and decided to move off the weed line so we didn’t get bothered by those darn Wahoo or Mahi-Mahi, then pow the Ballyhoo went and the really was screaming, the fish sounded, maybe we have him but he wasn’t huge unless he didn’t know he was hooked yet.  After 20 minutes we guessed it probably was not a blue and sure enough we had foul hooked a 40# Wahoo in the stomach, darn!  We were wondering are we ever going to get to the Marlin spot again or do we need to pull in all the lures?  We finally started our troll on the weed line again and sure enough it wasn’t long and we had a Blue up on the Shotgun, we pulled the hooks and he came at the throw back hard but dropped it during the free spool.  Now I’m thinking, this isn’t funny and it’s getting dark!  Well needless to say we picked up another Wahoo and 2 Mahi-Mahi and decided to call it a day (or two), so the Man in the Blue Suit still lives, however today is Wednesday and I going to get him tomorrow with me paying for the fuel myself!  

Fool'em or Feed'em,

Capt. Scott McCune